Re: different default key sizes for CREATE and LUKSFORMAT

On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 01:40:05PM +0100, Stefan Xenon wrote:
> > Good idea, I like it. However use the same time as for the keyslots.
> > There is really no reason to have one use less iterations than
> > the other.
> >
> > The two iterations are linked security-wise, so treating them the same
> > makes sense.
> >
> > Incidentially, it should only add the time once, there is only
> > one Master Key.
>
> Sounds good for me as well. While I don't know the details I am
> wondering if the result may be influenced by other processes executed at
> the same time. This means, when heavy processes are running in the
> background (e.g. compilation), the iteration calculation may become
> slower and thus the amount of iterations smaller as it would be
> normally. Please note that I don't know the implementation details but
> just want to point out this theoretical problem.

Sopuld not be an issue. If done right, this is CPU miliseconds,
not elapsed miliseconds. An being off by 50% does not matter
a lot in this application anyways.

> Also the possibility to recalculate the iterations might be useful,
> after an upgrade of the computer (but with remaining storage device).
> Especially external hard drives might be in use for more years compared
> to the CPU.

That is done on reformat, which also is really the only simple
way to change such a setting. On the other hand, the used values
are already intended for "many years", so I think this is not
a concern.

Arno
--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno@xxxxxxxxxxx