Re: different default key sizes for CREATE and LUKSFORMAT

hey milan,

On 18/11/2009 Milan Broz wrote:
> I thought about default change for LUKS in cryptsetup 1.1.0, but...
>
> For default LUKS cipher:
>
> I agree with switching default to 256bits for LUKS)
> (aes-cbc-essiv:sha256 is already default), just some ideas
>
> - some discussions about recent theoretic attacks against AES-256
> (related key), maybe some people want use AES-128...
>
> - for recent kernel, XTS mode is more appropriate, but it cause
> backward incompatibility (XTS is not available in old kernels)
> (IOW default to aes-xts-plain ?)
>
> (Ignoring the 32-only plain IV problem here, because XTS suggested use
> is for volumes <1TB. I have already patch for plain64 dm-crypt IV btw,
> just it got lost in Alasdair's upstream patch queue.)
>
> For default LUKS header hash:
>
> - default is SHA1
>
> switching to another (probably SHA-256?) means complete incompatibility
> with all cryptsetup <1.1.x, this need some time when all most distros
> use new cryptsetup.
> No need to hurry, there is no problem with SHA1 in this application
> of hash function.
>
> For plain cipher mode:
>
> I am not sure if it is good idea to change default, if anyone using
> default in crypttab, it cause serious incompatibility with possible data loss.
> But I agree that aes-cbc-essiv:sha256 is better default here.
>
> Can distro maintainers think about this? There is not problem
> for encryption of swap using random key.
> Maybe it will need some warning during upgrade if there is such plain
> volume in crypttab.

in debian we already warned the users to explicitly set all cipher, size
and hash settings for plain dm-crypt in /etc/crypttab, as defaults may
change with new releases.

so no objections from me against changing defaults in 1.1.0 release.

> So, if there are no objections, I'll change default key size for LUKS to 256bits
> in final cryptsetup 1.1.0 release. The plain default is still open question.

please go ahead, and i also vote for changing plain default as well.

greetings,
 jonas