Re: encrypt root file system on centos

On 11/02/2009 03:15 AM, Hans Hallan wrote:
> I have tried several manuals that describe about how to encrypt root
> file system, but
>
> They were all failure.
>
> Could you please give me some clue / manual on how to encrypt root file
> system using cryptsetup on centos ?

The support for encrypted PV (LVM over LUKS) was added to installer
(anaconda) in RHEL 5.3, so I suggest you to download
CentOS 5.4 installation and try do completely new installation.
(Basically just check "encrypt system" in the disk selection dialog.)

Then check the setup, you cal also reuse existing disk layout
(e.g. if you want use different alignment or cipher - unfortunately
anaconda uses default values.)

Old manuals for <5.3 are too complicated for starters.

Milan