removing LUKS from a partition

I have a swap partition that I setup with luks, though it is now in
crypttab as having a random key.

I've gotten repeated complaints about this situation from the computer
(I think they were either "skipping operation because ..." or maybe just
"LUKS doesn't use random keys"), and I'd like to clean this up.

What's the right way to do this?  Can I just copy junk over the first n
bytes?  What is n?

I know I need to deactivate the swap first.

BTW, do random keys make suspend to RAM unworkable?  Is it best to use
fixed keys for swap if you have a laptop (the system that prompts my
question is not a laptop, but I do have one)?

Thanks.
Ross Boylan