Re: md-raid5+lvm+dm-crypt+kvm: one streaming write starves all reads

On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 02:22:18PM +0200, Christian Pernegger wrote:
> > Yes. And that may be some s"synergetic" effect triggered by the
> > slowness. At least that is one possible explanation.
>
> Agreed.
>
> > You could try this with a dummy-cipher that does not take encryption time.
> >
> > I have not tried this myself, but hit candidates are
> > "ciper_null" and "ecb(ciper_null)". I have both (kernel
> > 2.6.30.5)
>
> They're there all right, must have overlooked them. However I haven't
> managed to construct a cipher spec that'll work with cryptsetup. Maybe
> because it takes no key ...

Possibly. I do not know how to do this either.

> Various tunings of the host's page cache (under /proc/sys/vm/) to make
> flushes less bursty didn't help much.

A pity. Have you tried to set dirty_writeback_centisecs to
something very low, e.g. 10? If I understand this correctly that
would cause regular flushes to start after 1 sec.

> In the meantime I've set up a dedicated kvm guest for these tests,
> with one encrypted and one unencrypted scratch volume. Maybe some
> systematic benchmarking will point somewhere.

Good approach. You can also try different speed ciphers.
2fish should be faster than AES.

 > Seems a lot of people are having this problem, since ~2.6.24 at least,
> and it seems to get worse the slower the CPUs are, the faster the
> disks are. Chosing a faster cipher seems to help.

That would be consistent with a backlog before the cipher step
that eventually leads to an emergency flush. One possible solution
would be to slow down writes before the buffer becomes full. However
I don't think there are provisions for that in the kernel.

Arno

Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno@xxxxxxxxxxx
----