Re: md-raid5+lvm+dm-crypt+kvm: one streaming write starves all reads

This sounds more like a general I/O flushing problem.
I uses to use a (slow) MO drive for backup and had this
all the time after the kernel developers removed easy
tuning of the filesystem flush paramaters. (Which I still
think was arrogant and stupid.) With earlier flush
I did not run into emergency flushes. With the default
paramaters I always ran into emergency flushes and
the whole machine would lock up for minutes at a time.
The lock-up is gone now, likely due to different locking
granularity, but I still miss my manually tuned filesystem
on occasion, when I run into exactly the starvation you
describe.

It is possible that tuning the paramaters can be done
again by now, I have not looked into it for some time.

I think the idea was that early writing has a bit lower
performance, but is easier to interrupt.

So, possibly no connection to dm-crypt, just the
buffer-cache having badly tuned parameters for
this type of operation.

Arno

Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno@xxxxxxxxxxx
----