Re: cryptsetup, LUKS, plausible deniability

On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 22:56:44 +0200, Arno Wagner wrote:

>So I would say that plausible deniability is of very low value
>in practice and may have potential negative value in some
>situations.

To say it's of low value in practice is a pretty sweeping statement -
whether it's of low value in practice is largely dependant on the
scenario.

Like any security tool, it is just a tool; in some cases it may a great
asset, in some a liability.

A locked door can keep a murderer out until the police arrive, but it
can also prevent someone from exiting a burning building.

>With plausible deniability they are sure to
>torture you untill you are completely broken, while without
>it, you can give them everything in a way they can actually
>verify.

OTOH, the knowledge that "the beatings" (or in our more enlighted
times, the waterboarding or another form of torture) will continue -
regardless of whether or not you give an attacker anything, may well
work *against* any form of torture.

There's no incentive to hand over your keys, since it won't achieve (or
stop) anything.

>It is possible that you have information that still
>merits being protected under these circumstances, but I don't.
>Plausible deniability basically assumes the life of the person
>having the key is worth less than the information.

Although the information may or may be "worth the life of the persion",
I don't agree that any such assumption is made.

I'm a little uncertain as to the alternative you're prompting? Even if
you stored all your data in plaintext (practically the same scenario
presented after handing over an encrypted volume's key) - or even if
you have a system which where it is possible to *prove* no further data
is hidden away - what's to stop an attacker assuming that you've simply
hidden your encrypted data elsewhere (e.g. a USB flash drive), and
continues the torture on the basis they "simply haven't found it yet"?

--
Sarah Dean
FreeOTFE site: http://www.FreeOTFE.org/

For information on SecureTrayUtil, Shredders, On-The-Fly Encryption
(OTFE) systems, etc, see the URLs above.