Re: Help: after crypttab modify > begin: waiting for root file system

hey again,

On 01/09/2009 Tommaso wrote:
> Thank you for your reply :) I already managed to rescue my system and
> undo my changes using the initrd.imgXXX.bak as you said (phew! :) ),
> however I still have a couple of problems, one of which is really WEIRD...
>
> The first problem is that I still can't manage how to use the cleartext
> key_temp on /boot to automatically start the system without requesting a
> passphrase. However thank you for pointing me at the passdev script, I
> didn't know that, suppose it's intended also for this, I'll give a look
> at that as soon as possible.

yes, that's exactly what passdev is meant for.

> The second, weird problem is the following. Being unable to use the
> keyfile for the automount, I temporarily added a second passphrase slot
> to the above device. So now, when at boot a passphrase is requested, you
> can insert either passphrase1 (the old one) or passphrase2 (the new one,
> which is known also by other trusted people who should so be able to
> reboot the system in my absence).
> The WEIRD problem now is: if I insert passphrase1 the system starts
> normally and all is good. If I insert passphrase2... the passphrase is
> accepted, the disk is unlocked, the system starts... and all works
> EXCEPT for the network card o.O It hangs up on DHCPREQUEST and after a
> minute or so it says:
>
> eth1: device is not ready
>
> I'm really unable to understand why the two issues (the different
> passphrase and the eth1 not ready) should be related... but I succeeded
> in reproducing this behaviour many times and I'm pretty sure it depends
> on the passphrase...

that really sounds weird. if the unlocked device _is_ the same for both
passphrases, then it will behave similar. thus i don't see how issues
with network should be related to the used keyslot.

greetings,
 jonas