Re: volume unrecognized

hey,

On 27/08/2009 Jacques-Olivier KAPPS wrote:
> I have a single encrypted partition which contains my data, /home. I just
> installed a new system (ubuntu karmic/alternate cd) over my other clear
> system partitions, and I tried to use the setup program to point my /home
> directory to my existing and crypted /home partition. Though, it
> eventually wanted to format it and I canceled the whole operation.
>
> Now I can map the device with luksOpen, but the volume itself is
> unrecognized.
>
> I certainly can open the device with luksOpen because I choosed the same
> password in the installation process, but my guess is that the ubuntu
> installer erased and replaced the luks headers of my partition by new
> ones, what do you think? Or maybe is just erased the table partition
> headers and it can't recognized the filesystem?

according to your description, you entered a new luks passphrase for the
encrypted device at ubuntu installation, right? to my knowledge ubuntu
installation doesn't support management of existing encrypted devices
yet. for that reason i fear that you reformatted the device (luksFormat)
during installation process. i hope that you do have backups in that
case as your data will be lost.

even using the same passphrase doesn't help. the passphrase is only used
to decrypt the luks masterkey, and that masterkey is generated from
random data at luksFormat.

please keep in mind that encrypted storage devices don't have backdoors
implemented. if the masterkey is destroyed/overwritten, the data is
irrevocably lost by design.

you really should do regular backups of sensitive data, and even more so
if the data is stored on encrypted devices!

greetings,
 jonas