Re: Broken header of a luks-partition - more than once

spamzad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Something must have overwritten the header (posted it at the bottom) -
and I have no clue what.
That's exactly my question now: might it be a bug in cryptsetup or can
i rule that out?

I have been using LUKS for several years on three different devices and I have had many users using it for their (note|net)books. I have yet to hear any report of breakage from my users or experience it myself.

Milan Broz schrieb:
But see crypttab here - you have tmp device created as regular encrypted device
with random key - are you sure that kernel _cannot_ swap sda & sdb and
your system just formats temp device here?

home            /dev/sdb2               none            luks
ctmp            /dev/sda2               /dev/urandom
tmp,cipher=aes-cbc-essiv:sha256
cswap           /dev/sda5               /dev/urandom
swap,cipher=aes-cbc-essiv:sha256

Milan is probably right here, device names on modern distributions are not deterministic! However, the underlying script should be careful not to the device under the random key mapping if it contains a valid filesystem.

crypttab functionality is not part of cryptsetup, but part of your distribution. You should report this problem there.