Re: 1,5 TB partition: use cbc-essiv or xts-plain?

On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 18:46, Moji<lordmoji@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I am so sorry, I hit send before I had finished writing, I was delayed trying to find an article that I thought would help you with more explanation but I could not remember where I read it.
>
> Finally I did locate it, it should provide some information on ESSIV for you: http://clemens.endorphin.org/LinuxHDEncSettings
>
> Also, based on the information I have posted, and assuming that you will not be using raid to break up the device, I would recommend:
>
> serpent-cbc-essiv:sha256
I really liked this one, using aes-cbs-essiv:sha256 [keysize=256] i
was able to get only 0.89MB/s reading via NFS from my ARM 266Mhz.
Using serpent-cbc-essiv:sha256[keysize=256] i can get 2,66MB/s, which
is really good.

> serpent because it is very strong cipher, even though it has not as much testing as AES, and cbc-essiv, because I have not seen any reports of inherent vulnerabilities on larger devices.
>
> -MJ
>
> On Mon,  3 Aug 2009 14:53:42 +0200 (CEST)
> theiling@xxxxxxxxxx (Henrik Theiling) wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> While trying to make a decision of how to encrypt a large disk, I
>> found no good answer yet.  What I am searching for is a site that
>> gives me a simple overview of pros and cons of the different choices
>> to be made when selecting LUKS algorithms.  Yet, I found nothing like
>> that.
>>
>> In this particular case: for a 1,5 TB partition, should I use
>> cbc-essiv or xts-plain?
>>
>> It seems cbc-essiv is susceptible to watermarking (according to
>> Wikipedia, which claims that no IV obfuscation algorithm protects
>> against this except in the initial block.  Unfortunately, I cannot
>> verify this, so it sounds bad to me.
>>
>> And then, xts-plain is said to become weaker on large disks, and some
>> crypto implementations warn about this weakness for disks as small as
>> 500GB.  So what's the alternative?  (If I understand correctly, LUKS
>> has no multi-key XTS option for large disks, right (in case that would
>> overcome the problem)?)
>>
>> I don't seem to be able to make a decision on my own, so I'd like to
>> ask for help.  Which problem is worse?  Or are there ways to overcome
>> both problems?  I could probably split the disk and re-assemble the
>> xts-plain encrypted parts in a RAID, but that seems very complex.
>> There don't need to be simple answers -- I am willing to evaluate my
>> problem thoroughly, but so far I found no good comparison.
>>
>> Bye,
>>   Henrik

[]'s
Salatiel

"O maior prazer do inteligente é bancar o  idiota
   diante de um  idiota que banca o inteligente".