Re: 1,5 TB partition: use cbc-essiv or xts-plain?

On Tue, 04 Aug 2009 15:27:20 +0200
Henrik Theiling <theiling@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >From the wording of the Wikipedia article, however, it is not
> completely clear to me how serious the watermarking attack on CBC is.
> The IV function is known, so can two blocks be easily constructed in
> such a way that their cbc-essiv:sha256 encryption (with whatever main
> algorithm) is identical?  You'd need to know the sector for that plus
> break SHA256, because ESSIV uses the hash of the encryption key plus
> the sector number to generate the IV, right?  If I understood that
> correctly, then I can safely get back to relaxing, enjoying the summer
> and drinking beer instead of thinking about this any longer.

>From Clemens Fruhwirth:
"ESSIV
E(Sector|Salt) IV, short ESSIV, derives the IV from key material via encryption of the sector number with a hashed version of the key material, the salt. ESSIV does not specify a particular hash algorithm, but the digest size of the hash must be an accepted key size for the block cipher in use. As the IV depends on a none public piece of information, the key, the sequence of IV is not known, and the attacks based on this can't be launched."

This covers watermarks, I hope this provides for drinking much beer.

-MJ