Re: Re: Supported Algorithms list

* Roscoe <eocsor@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Ahh. FWIW I find the popularity of twofish over serpent interesting.

That's another matter. I was only referring to the blowfish/twofish
matter.

> >From wikipedia, the AES votes:
> Rijndael: 86 positive, 10 negative
> Serpent: 59 positive, 7 negative
> Twofish: 31 positive, 21 negative
> RC6: 23 positive, 37 negative
> MARS: 13 positive, 83 negative

It's on the record that AES was chosen over Serpent for its (back
then) promising hardware implementation features. A good comparison
between AES & Serpent is at

http://www.scribd.com/doc/4522/Comparison-between-AESRijndael-and-Serpent

I'm using Serpent myself. With modern hardware the speed penalty of
that cipher is not the bottleneck of overall performance anymore.

Possibly the most cited criticism of AES is its simple algebraic
structure, mentioned in "Practical Cryptography", 2003, pp56-57.

Anyway, the good news is that none of the major AES finalists have
been broken (as we know of; it cannot hurt to be paranoid about the
matter), twofish, AES, Serpent.

--
left blank, right bald