Re: Plans to avoid weaknesses in big volumes?

Sven Eschenberg <sven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I can see your point, then again, if we already have a metadata format,
> why not use it. cryptsetup could of course autocreate 'chunks' and
> describe them in the lvm metadata format, this gives cryptsetup the
> possibility to store a header alongside each chunk.
> And yes, I'd certainly welcome a stronger integration of the softraid
> setup tools, lvm2 and cryptsetup, because aside from different metadata

I'm not sure what you mean with "lvm metadata format". I was not talking
about lvm at all. I was just talking about device mapper tables. I know
that lvm translates its metadata info into device mapper tables as well,
so does cryptsetup - the latter just creates far mor simple tables than
lvm can and does.
Don't get me wrong - my idea was just to transparently slice a device
into regions, encrypt them with different keys and re-glue them
together.

regards
   Mario
--
We are the Bore. Resistance is futile. You will be bored.