Re: SMP-aware kcryptd?

Aside from the fact, that SMP support would not do any harm, you should consider this: Volumes >> 1TB have certain weaknesses - this is pretty much true for all block chaining enrcyption schemas. Even though if you use a hardware raid 5(6) controller, you should have a collection of several logical volumes on top of it, each encrypted with a different key.
I am pretty sure, this scales rather well with several cores/CPUs.

Regards

-Sven

Tomasz Chmielewski schrieb:
Currently, the trend with CPUs is to add more cores rather than increase the speed of a single core.

This does not scale very well with certain things in the Linux kernel. One of them is kcryptd.

A system able to deliver data with a speed of ~200 MB/s from a RAID array, will be only able to deliver a fraction of it (i.e. ~40 MB/s in my case) when reads are being done from a dm-crypt device.

This is because kcryptd is not SMP-aware: it performs all calculations on a single logical CPU only.

Are there any plans to change it?