Re: Re: [dm-devel] SMP-aware kcryptd?

On 13.04.2009, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:

>> (but I guess high speed SSDs will increase priority for this too,
>> currently it is real problem only for RAID arrays:-)

> And, laptops/netbooks with (slow) multi-core CPUs.

Since most of the netbooks are mainly bottlenecked by a slow 5400 rpm harddisk, it
simply doesn't matter if you run multihtreaded dmcrypt on them. It can
easily keep up with the harddisks speed, as long as you choose one of the
faster algorithms (aes, twofish).

The problem changes when fast SSDs will become significantly cheaper and
most of the laptops being sould will have one.