Re: [dm-devel] SMP-aware kcryptd?

Milan Broz schrieb:
Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
Currently, the trend with CPUs is to add more cores rather than increase the speed of a single core.

This does not scale very well with certain things in the Linux kernel. One of them is kcryptd.

A system able to deliver data with a speed of ~200 MB/s from a RAID array, will be only able to deliver a fraction of it (i.e. ~40 MB/s in my case) when reads are being done from a dm-crypt device.

(...)

Anyway, it is not highest priority currently... but still in slow progress.
(but I guess high speed SSDs will increase priority for this too,
currently it is real problem only for RAID arrays:-)

And, laptops/netbooks with (slow) multi-core CPUs.

Encryption is getting popular there as well.

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org