Re: LUKS encrypted volume doesn't work after upgrading kernel from 2.6.26 to 2.6.28

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 10:44:30AM +0100, Milan Broz wrote:
> Please check output form syslog also.

With 2.6.26, syslog just shows 2 lines:

padlock: Using VIA PadLock ACE for AES algorithm
padlock: Using VIA PadLock ACE for SHA1/SHA256 algorithm

With 2.6.28, no output. If I reboot, I have now very briefly seen what
looks like diagnostic messages, but because of the reboot, the
messages don't make it to the disk. It's also too quickly gone to
read.

Any way I can force the error message without the reboot? Killing the
cryptsetup process didn't help.

> If crytptsetup hangs, try to run in in single used mode,

Makes no difference.

> try to kill udevd,

Sorry, haven't done this before. What do I do, and what must I pay attention
to? Just killing the udevd process after cryptsetup hangs doesn't seem
to have any effect.

> check with strace to see what it is waiting for, etc.

strace says it hangs on "iotcl(3, DM_TABLE_LOAD".

This is on a Samsung NC20 with VIA VX880 chipset. Is it possible that
some sort of hardware crypto support ("VIA Padlock" looks like that)
is causing the problem? Can I disable that in the kernel without
recompiling it? (Compiling my own kernel is next on the TODO list,
but it would be nice if I could actually use my home volume before that,
and it would also make testing faster).

- Dirk