Re: LUKS encrypted volume doesn't work after upgrading kernel from 2.6.26 to 2.6.28

Dirk Thierbach wrote:
> I couldn't find an archive for this mailing list, so I apologize if
> this question has been already answered before.
>
> I have a LUKS-encrypted volume on a Debian system. When I upgraded
> the kernel from 2.6.26 to 2.6.28 (both standard Debian images),
> I found I could no longer access the encrypted volume,
> "cryptsetup luksOpen ..." just hangs. When booting with the old kernel,
> everything works again.
>
> Any ideas about the reason? If there are changes in the way encryption
> is handled between 2.6.26 and 2.6.28, can I convert the volume directly,
> or do have I do start over freshly and restore from a copy?

No. It should work (and it works on Debian with vanilla 2.6.28).

Please check output form syslog also.
If crytptsetup hangs, try to run in in single used mode, try to kill udevd,
check with strace to see what it is waiting for, etc.

Milan
--
mbroz@xxxxxxxxxx