Re: Stupid Question

Matt Rosales schrieb:
>  I am looking into the possibility of having an Ubuntu 8.04
>>> installation with an encrypted filesystem.  As it is supported out
>>> of the box I managed to get it up and running in no time. However
>>> what I would really need is the system to boot without prompting for
>>> a passphrase. I just want to prevent someone from unplugging the
>>> hard disk and mounting it on another machine. So far I have seen
>>> that this can be done with a USB Key with a key file however I do
>>> not want to use a USB Key.
>
> You know, I was thinking about a similar thing the other day; perhaps
> using the reported model number or some other sort of identifying
> information from your USB keyboard or mouse. It may not be unique, but
> the combination of the USB devices attached to your computer could
> potentially make a moderate 'keyfile' replacement, no?

Problematic if a) you want to replace a device or a device quits service
and b) if the thief takes the whole computer together with the hard
drive. Probably Joe Average could execute this even easier than removing
the harddrive.

AFAIK at least Intel CPUs have an unique ID which could be used for your
purpose. Also this does not prevent against b) it may be more consistent
than your USB device combinations. Keep in mind that you may run into
trouble if your CPU becomes defect which should occur seldom.