Re: brute force attack on dm-crypt

On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 07:35:22PM +0100, Stefan X wrote:
> Hi!
> I forgot a password for an dm-crypt encrypted partition and would like
> to try to break the encryption by brute force. Therefore I have some
> questions.
>
> Are there incompatibilities between old dm-crypt and LUKS or is it
> possible to mount an old partition which is encrypted with dm-crypt (no
> LUKS!) in an up-to-date distributions?

LUKS and dm-crypt are two different systems. However there may well
support for dm-crypt in a modern sdistribution.

> Tools like John the Ripper are great for cracking hashed passwords. Is
> it possible to extract a hash out of a partition which can be used for
> such attacks as John the Ripper do? If so, do you have any reference how
> to execute this task?

No. dm-crypt does not store a hashed password, encrypted or
otherwise. It directly uses the hash of your passphrase as
encryption key. If you still know what is on the partition, you may
be able to at least do a known-plaintext attack, but the only
thing you can use from John the Ripper is the password generation
scheme. However, since you should have at least some idea what
the password looks like, you would best adapt the password
generation to that.

> Otherwise, I would need to try to mount the partition with each
> potential password which would be quite slow. Do you have any
> suggestions how to speed up this process?

Do cryptsetup and see whether the filesystem looks right using your
own code. No mounting required. Even faster, read a sector with some
known contents into memory and decrypt it there using the algorithm
you used for dm-crypt (likely the default). No further disk access
required.

Arno
--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno@xxxxxxxxxxx