Re: brute force attack on dm-crypt

On vendredi 16 janvier 2009 19:35:22 Stefan X wrote:
> Hi!
> I forgot a password for an dm-crypt encrypted partition and would like
> to try to break the encryption by brute force. Therefore I have some
> questions.
>
> Are there incompatibilities between old dm-crypt and LUKS or is it
> possible to mount an old partition which is encrypted with dm-crypt (no
> LUKS!) in an up-to-date distributions?

Not realy

> Tools like John the Ripper are great for cracking hashed passwords. Is
> it possible to extract a hash out of a partition which can be used for
> such attacks as John the Ripper do? If so, do you have any reference how
> to execute this task?

Code yourself a C/C++ programe using john library

> Otherwise, I would need to try to mount the partition with each
> potential password which would be quite slow. Do you have any
> suggestions how to speed up this process?

Do like IBM, user a farm of server and makes them run for 4 month
(ibm did a aes brute force and they completed it in 4month)

To day you the trush i think you loosed everything, better try remember or find
old key.

Luks may have multiple key (7 slot), each one can store a password to decypher
the the master key, try to find the other key.

Anyway luks is designe to crypt the data on a military level, don't ever dream
to break it yourself except if you or someone is real expert in security that
discover a failure in aes or luks design.
The only other way would be to have friend in NSA or company with farmserver
that you can use for month...

Try the dm-crypt mailing list : dm-crypt à saout é de, but it's very unlikely
that you would fin a positive answer to your problem