Re: Debian 4.0r6, LUKS, Windows XP Pro SP3, and FreeOTFE

On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 21:19:55 -0800, David Christensen wrote:

>dm-crypt:
[snip]
>RTFM and STFW, I tried making an LUKS encrypted FAT partition on a USB
>flash drive on the Debian system by following this:

You're using FAT, which is a good start (you'd be surprised how many
people use ext3!)

>http://www.hermann-uwe.de/blog/howto-disk-encryption-with-dm-crypt-luks-
>and-debian
>
>But, FreeOTFE didn't recognize the partition.  So I tried going the
>other way around, and LUKS didn't recognize the partition.

Note: FreeOTFE doesn't support creating LUKS volumes atm, only using,
reading and writing to existing ones.

>Both LUKS and FreeOTFE offer multiple choices, parameters, and modes of
>operation.  At this point, I'm stumped.

If you want to use LUKS, FreeOTFE shouldn't really offer much in the
way of options - there's nothing much for it *to* offer as everything's
stored in the LUKS header!

When trying to mount a LUKS volume, you should just the simplified LUKS
password entry dialog; are you seeing the more complex "losetup"
password entry dialog with tabs at the top?

I've got a few other suggestions which may help, but need more
information...

Do you have multiple partitions on the USB drive; does FreeOTFE show
the partition colored red when you try to mount it?

Please could you post what luksDump gives you for the volume?

Do you have any more success with the instructions at:

http://www.freeotfe.org/docs/Linux_examples__LUKS.htm

--
Sarah Dean
FreeOTFE site: http://www.FreeOTFE.org/

For information on SecureTrayUtil, Shredders, On-The-Fly Encryption
(OTFE) systems, etc, see the URLs above.