Debian 4.0r6, LUKS, Windows XP Pro SP3, and FreeOTFE

dm-crypt:

I am a disk encryption newbie who would like to share USB drives between
a Debian 4.0r6 system with LUKS (cryptsetup 1.0.4+svn26-1) and a Windows
XP Professional SP3 system with FreeOTFE 4.5.  I plan to use USB flash
drives for "sneaker net", and USB disk drives for backup images.  I
don't anticipate the need for a sophisticated filesystem (ext2, NTFS,
etc.), and would prefer something that is built-in to both systems (e.g.
FAT/ FAT32).

RTFM and STFW, I tried making an LUKS encrypted FAT partition on a USB
flash drive on the Debian system by following this:

http://www.hermann-uwe.de/blog/howto-disk-encryption-with-dm-crypt-luks-
and-debian

But, FreeOTFE didn't recognize the partition.  So I tried going the
other way around, and LUKS didn't recognize the partition.

Both LUKS and FreeOTFE offer multiple choices, parameters, and modes of
operation.  At this point, I'm stumped.

Any suggestions?

TIA,

David