Re: dmcrypt on raid5 question

On Mon, Nov 03, 2008 at 11:55:54AM +0100, mws@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> hi,
>
> due to a new workstation i decided to generate a dm-crypt partition on
> top of a mdraid raid5 that consists on three hd each sized 750GB.
>
> i did assemble the raid and, what i do know by now, made a mistake that
> maybe
> is valid.
>
> after the raid5 was created i did a
>
> cryptsetup create sdraid /dev/md0
>
> afterwards i entered my passphrase
>
> this was followed by a
>
> makefs.xfs for /dev/mapper/sdraid
>
> when that was finished i did mount /dev/mapper/sdraid on /mnt/sdraid,
> copied at least ~700GB data onto the mounted device.
>
> on friday i had to reboot my pc due to a kernel reconfigure and had no
> access anymore to my raid drive.
>
> due to the fact, that my raid drive was ok - this info was taken from cat
> /proc/mdstat
> i suggested the whole weekend how i could get back my data.
>
> fdisk -l /dev/md0 brought up that there was no partition table at all
>
> cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/md0 sdraid
> came up with a /dev/md0 is not a luks partition so no key found...
>
> having read man pages over and over i try the way like i must have created
> the array
>

> cryptsetup sdraid /dev/md0
> i was asked for my passphrase, and after that able to mount
> /dev/mapper/sdraid again
>

> so my questions are:
>
> 1.) i did things wrong imho, but i think i do have a crypted raid array
> that also contains
>    a crypted partition table, is that right?

You have created the filesystem on the raw, encrypted md0, hence
you have no partition table.

> 2.) can i keep this array in described state or do i have to backup data
> and recreate the crypted stuff with cryptsetup luksFormat?

You have uses plain cruptsetup, hence there is no LUKS header.

> 3.) is my data really encrypted? :)

It should be.

> thanks in advance for answers
>
> i am a bit confused atm
>
> marcel

What exactly is the problem? Do you run through cryptsetup
again as on creation and then the mount fails? In that case
I would suspect thet you mistyped your passphrase, either
on creation or on remount.

The above procedure is sound and works. However it does
full device (md0) filesystem creation (no partitions, Linux
can support that) and it does not use LUKS, but plain dm-crypt.

Arno

--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno@xxxxxxxxxxx
----