Re: feature request: findLuksKeySlots

smallnow <smallnow@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Interesting. dmsetup --showkeys table, it doesn't show what I type for a key...

It will usually never show what you type, not even with plain
cryptsetup, since even then usually the key is derived from your typed
passphrase via some hash function.
What luks does is a step more: it encrypts the key used to encrypt your
data with a key derived from your passphrase. This is why you can have
more than one passphrase: they all decrypt the same key.

> I see some info and some numbers and a long alphanumerical string, all of which
> I don't understand. Is the key decipherable from this?

The string is not really alphanumeric but hexadecimal.
And: no, what you see there is the key your data is encrypted with.

> how?

It's not decipherable, since it's not encrypted :)

regards
   Mario
--
What I need is an exact list of specific unknown problems we might encounter.
                                -- Manager, Lykes Lines Shipping