Re: LUKS Question

Without getting into a "Yes, No!" kind of discussion I would like to mention
that AES is both not the strongest (it is serpent to my knowledge) and the
fastest (it is twofish to my knowledge).

Or maybe my sources are wrong or I dont understand it well enough :)

"Serpent was widely viewed as taking a more conservative approach to
security than the other
AES<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Encryption_Standard>finalists,
opting for a larger security margin: the designers deemed 16
rounds to be sufficient against known types of attack, but specified 32
rounds as insurance against future discoveries in cryptanalysis."
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serpent_(cipher)

"Counterpane Labs has spent over one thousand hours cryptanalyzing Twofish,
and has found no attacks that can break the full 16 round version of the
algorithm. Attacks have been found against a weaker 5 round Twofish, but the
algorithm is very secure when the full 16 rounds are used. It is also the
fastest AES candidate, and one of the most compact. Its conservative design
allows the ability to trade off key setup time for encryption speed, as well
as sacrificing smaller memory requirements to obtain greater encryption
speed."
Source: http://www.tropsoft.com/strongenc/twofish.htm

But anyways, you guys have been very helpful, so thanks a lot.
I guess in the end it doesnt really matter if I choose twofish or AES to
encrypt a frigg'n file anyways :)

Take care!

Rense

http://www.tropsoft.com/strongenc/twofish.htm