DM-Crypt missing in 2.6.24.7?

Hello

Having compiled a new copy of kernel 2.6.24.7 downloaded from kernel.org,
I have been receiving the following errors when trying to crypto loop
mount files:

luked@thor:~$ cryptmount encrypted.fs
enter password for target "encrypted.fs":
device-mapper: table: 253:0: crypt: unknown target type
device-mapper: reload ioctl failed: Invalid argument
device-mapper task failed
device-mapper target-creation failed for "encrypted.fs"

A bit of googling lead me to believe that dm-crypt may not be being
loaded.  That is true, but I have found that it does not even exist in my
modules directory, and is not referenced in the .config for this kernel.

It does exist in source, but is not listed in the .config for some reason.
This is a custom config, created by "make oldconfig", following the
application of patches for a non-crypto-related set of drivers, on a
config file originally used on a 2.6.18 kernel which WAS working just
fine for mounting encrypted files as loop devices.

Any suggestions on a next step?

Regards,

Luke