Re: Valid ciphers and modes for dmcrypt?

A little more experimenting and I have found that twofish doesn't seem to work
in any combination; /var/log/kern shows:

  device-mapper: table: 254:0: crypt: Error setting key

a cursory investigation of kernel source shows that the only requirement for key
length is that it must be a multiple of 8 characters (64 bits) and the comments
seem to focus on lengths of 192 and 256 bits, so I don't believe that the
keylength in my experiment is the problem, not sure what else it could be...I'm
going to try and compile another kernel and see if that fixes the problem...does
anyone know if this is a known bug with any particular kernel build. (I'm
running Ubuntu Hardy Heron, uname gives "2.6.24-12-server")

I'm assuming that for the most secure operation the chainmode should be xts and
the ivopts should be benbi.

On a related note does benbi require (or use) an ivmode, or is it just cbc that
needs a hash appended to it?

I'd be most grateful if Christophe or Clemens could fill in a few blanks for me
(and the rest of the list of course :-)

D.