Re: Possibility of hash function besides SHA-1 in future LUKS revisions?

Hi!

Clemens Fruhwirth writes:
> From the specification of the LUKS header, there shouldn't be a
> problem. It's just that it's not implemented, and that my PBKDF2
> implementation is at the moment hardwired to SHA1. But that's just a
> matter of spending more time with the code.

As SHA1 produces 160 bit hashes, is it so that hashing the pass phrase
reduces the overall strength to 160 bits despite the master key being,
say, AES with 256 bits?  In that case, SHA-256 would indeed be quite
cool.

**Henrik