Re: Re: resize and reload options to cryptsetup

On 15/02/2008 Uwe Menges wrote:
> On Tuesday 12 February 2008 10:02:15 Jonas Meurer wrote:
> >btw, i guess that the resize option is even more interesting, to support
> >online resizing of LUKS devices.
>
> Erm... I'm a bit confused now. It seems that a lot of people already do LUKS
> online resizing since quite a while, most of the time without problems (see
> eg.
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.device-mapper.dm-crypt/2214/ )

I did some tests, and it didn't work for me. Actually it seemed like it
didn't do anything. When I tried the reload option on LUKS devices, it
trashed the filesystem, just as described in http://bugs.debian.org/428288

> Do you state this is not safe? It definitely is possible, google "luks
> resize", it boils down to something like

I have to admit that I'm surprised. You're correct, several docs in the
net claim that online LUKS resizing works. For me it didn't. I'll have
to do some more tests though.
And I didn't exactly state that the resize action to LUKS devices is
dangerous, but rather that the reload action is dangerous. As described
above, the resize action didn't do anything.

> Maybe you can clarify that a bit?

Hopefully this mail gives the answers you expected ...

greetings,
 jonas