strange behaviour with cryptsetup

Hi,

i have an encrypted partition on an extern harddisk. Opening and mounting
after booting from my main computer does not show any problems at all.
After booting with sysresccd (customized with cryptsetup 1.0.5, same
version as on my main computer), I tried to open the partition:

cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sdd1 enc
Enter LUKS passphrase: xxxxxxx

device-mapper: table: device /dev/sdd1 too small for target
device-mapper: table: 253:0:crypt:Device lookup failed
device-mapper: ioctl: error adding target to table
device-mapper: ioctl: device doesnt appear to be in the dev hash table

Enter LUKS passphrase:

And so on and so on....

It's no problem at all to open and mount the partition from my main machine,
and the external harddisk in which the mentioned partition resides is
fully operational and 100% ok. Have absolutely no clue what's the cause for this.

Can anybody her give me a hint where to look?

Greetings from western Norway,
Heinz.