LUKS partitons disappeared

I recently used the gentoo live CD to migrate my data from reiserfs to ext3.
In the process, I decided to encrypt some of my data by making new LUKS
partitions. There was one LUKS partition already in existance. I luksOpened
it, mounted the /dev/mapper/crypt, copied data off, umounted, and mke2fs -j.
Then I remounted and put data back. The other two partitions I luksFormated,
luksOpened, ran mke2fs -j on their respective /dev/mapper/crypts, mounted,
and put data on one one of them. Before rebooting, I umounted all
partitions, but did not luksClose. The two LUKS partitions that had data on
them are no longer recognized as being LUKS partions by cryptsetup luksOpen.
The third one has no problems, but contains only the lost+found directory as
no data was put on this partition. Incidentally, the partition that still
works is one of the two newly created ones, and the pre-existing one as well
as one of the newly created ones is no longer working. I can't figure out
what could have happened to the two partitions. Is there any kind of
diagnostic or recovery I can try?