Re: security implications in using sparse files?

On Tue, Nov 20, 2007 at 03:26:00PM -0200, Andreas wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm creating image files using dd and associating them with a loop
> device with losetup (no crypto so far). Then I use cryptsetup on the
> loop device.
>
> Since the image files are rather large (+/- 35Gb), using plain dd takes
> a long time (dd if=/dev/zero of=/image.img ...) and renders the machine
> quite useless during that time.

I would suggest using dd_rescue, which is a lot more efficient and
typically reaches the disks maximum data rate. It also gives
you a nice progress indicator.

> I then tried creating a sparse file instead and it was much faster and
> seems to be working well. Are there any bad security implications in
> using a sparse file instead of a "full" file, considering I was filling
> it with zeroes to begin with?

The only problem I see is that an attacker would know which sectors
have been written, and which have not. I would think this is
not an issue in most situations.

There is also an issue with sparse files: They grow. If you
have insufficient space, writes may file at some time due
to lack of disk space.

Arno

--
Arno Wagner, Dipl. Inform., CISSP --- CSG, ETH Zurich, arno@xxxxxxxxxxx