Re: security implications in using sparse files?

My two cents:

If all you're doing is

dd if=/dev/zero of=/image.img bs=8M count=4000
losetup /dev/loop0 /image.img
cryptsetup luksFormat /dev/loop0
cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/loop0 encryptedimage
mkfs /dev/mapper/encryptedimage

Then I would say it makes no difference to security if you use a
sparse file or not.

An attacker might be able to guess a few things in either case about
the nature of your encypyted data, perhaps the filesystem you used,
how full it is etc...By looking at the size and distribution of the
ciphertext.
(eg: if you were to fill your encrypted filesystem with 20GB of files,
one would be able to see there was 20GB of ciphertext)

By using a sparse file you risk it getting fragmented and having a
performance hit, no idea if that's significant :)