Re: Key Revocation

On Wed, Oct 10, 2007 at 05:30:34PM -0600, Gavin Wahl wrote:
> I was reading the LUKS specification and noticed that revoking a
> user's key does nothing to stop them from accessing the encrypted
> partition if they have stored the master key from the
> partition. Once given access, they can decrypt and store the master
> key, and nothing short of changing the master key can prevent future
> access.

Indeed. That is as intended. Key revocation does not serve to
make encrypted data unavailable. Key revocation is for declaring
a signature-key no longher trustworthy or a crypto key no
longer fit to be used to encrypt additional data. In anutshell
it is an advisory that tells people: "From now on, do not trust
this key."

If you want to remove access from encrypted data, you have to
either erase all copies of the encryption key (may be difficult)
or to erase the encrypted data itself (easy, but takes time).

It looks like for modertn harddisk a single overwrite with zeros
is already enough to make recovery impossible, but there is
no hard proof aither way. For added security, do 2-3 passes
with random data in addition to the zero-pass.

Arno
--
Arno Wagner, Dipl. Inform., CISSP --- CSG, ETH Zurich, wagner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
----