Re: how to label encrypted partitions?

Arno Wagner wrote:

I would like to mount _any_ encrypted usb stick without being
root, and without having to look for what became of the "%n"
in the SYMLINK option. The procedure I would like to have would
be: The user plugs in his USB stick, runs "mount /usb" (or
maybe "luksmount /usb"), enters the passphrase, and then it is
mounted. When he has done his job he runs "umount /usb", waits
for the LED, and pulls it out. GUI support would be nice-to-have,
but command line support is must-have.

For not encrypted usb sticks this procedure is no problem.

What I do is have a RUN script in udev which runs cryptsetup on luks devices when they're plugged in. I use a keyfile identified by partition name - that's the disadvantage; you need the keyfiles on the system.

However once decrypted you can mount the device using automount. So user plugs in device and accesses it - no mount or other intermediate steps.

Dick