how to label encrypted partitions?

Hi folks,

Thanx for the suggestions, but Clemens' recommended way to
implement labels is exactly what I do _not_ want to do:
Register each encrypted partition in a local file on every
machine. Even if I extend this script to manage /etc/uuidmap
automatically (e.g. to create a new line for every unknown
UUID using a generated label string), then I still have the
problem that very likely every usb stick gets a different
label on every machine. And without editing /etc/uuidmap I
am not free to choose the label I want.

So why not store a file "uuidmap" on the device itself? There
are 2 problems with this: I would have to create a seperate
(not encrypted) partition for this file. Very expensive for
just a few bytes needed to store the label And I would need
some way to search for this special partition, mount it using
the right file system, read it, and umount the partition again.
It can surely be done, but it would be expensive, slow, and
error-prone.

The "clean" solution would be to store the label next to the
passphrase and the UUID in the LUKS header.

I am not sure about Dirk's suggestion, but AFAIU it wouldn't
work for me. The point is that I would like to use the label
to run cryptsetup. If the udev rule to make a label available
in /dev/usb relies upon /dev/mapper, then this doesn't work.
The entry in /dev/mapper doesn't exist when I need it.

Regards

Harri