Re: Recommanded cipher settings

On Mon, Sep 17, 2007 at 12:48:57AM -0400, Eric St-Laurent wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What are the currently recommended settings for an encrypted volume?
>
> This seem common:
>
> -c aes-cbc-essiv:sha256 -h sha256 -s 256 -y
>
> I've seen this which "looks" better:
>
> -c aes-lrw-benbi -h sha256 -s 384 -y
>

> Is the lrw mode working great and a obvious improvement over essiv?
>
> (I'm not a crypto expert by any mean, I've just seen some
> "hype" about lrw on the web)

ESSIV and lrw are both sedcure against "detection patterns" embedded
in the data. The only thing ESSIV is insecure against is, AFAIK,
that you can detect file changes on a sub-sector level if they happen
towards the end of a sector. lrw fixes that, i.e. you can only tell
that a disk-block was changed, but not how much of it.

For many practical applications, ESSIV and LRW should be equally
secure. Note that with both you have absolutely no leaking of the
contens of the plain data, just some leakage about changes.

Even aes-cbc-plain is secure in most cases, the main risk here
is that an attacker can recognize specially prepared files
in the encrypted data. Again, an attacker cannot deduce
anything abut data you prepared.

Arno
--
Arno Wagner, Dipl. Inform., CISSP --- CSG, ETH Zurich, wagner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx