resource busy error

I get the following error.

device-mapper: reload ioctl failed: Invalid argument

I was in the middle of doing a backup to my external drive, which happens to be aes-plain encryption.  My /tmp was filled up, and I had to reboot because vmware would not release the files in /tmp.

So, I'm assuming that dm-crypt things the drive is busy because of some sort of unmount problem.

Is there a way of recovering my drive?

__
---