Re: recovering a luks partition, when cryptsetup says it isnt one

1:

The LUKS header at the start of your home partition will begin with
the following bytes:
['L','U','K','S',0xBA,0xBE]  (from the spec)

One you've found the header, assuming it's all intact, you'll be able
to mount :).
The exact details of mounting that you'll have to go through I'm not
sure of enough to quote, maybe cryptsetup -o, or repartitioning, will
be required.

(If you do have the start of the home partition correct, then you
should be able to run `head -c 4 /dev/sda4 `and have it return LUKS).

Oh, and I suggest turning off swap in case the start of home is
actually somewhere in that swap partition and you inadvertently start
overwriting it when using the computer.

2:
Overwriting the end of the partition is no big deal from a LUKS
perspective, you'll lose that 5GB rounded up to some multiple of your
cipher blocksize, the start of the partition however is critical as
that is where the master key is stored.
From a filesystem perspective, I'm not sure how well whatever
filesystem you're using deals with the last 5GB being cut off :)