recovering a luks partition, when cryptsetup says it isnt one

Hey guys,

yesterday I tried to install Windows from the recovery cds of my
laptop-vendor, which had a bad effect: it erased my partition table and
wrote data to the first 8 and last 5 GB of the disk.

Before that, my disk looked like this:
sda1: 10GB XP
sda2: 10GB / (ext3)
sda3: 1GB swap (LUKS)
sda4: 78GB /home (LUKS)

I could find / and swap with gpart, but could not for /home. So I
recreated /home as the whole rest of the disk behind swap (like it
should be).
/ works fine, I can boot from it and fsck does not complain.
Same for swap, I could open it with my luks-key and it works fine.
But for /home cryptsetup keeps telling me, it is not a luks partition.
So I'm searching the problem (and it's solution of course):
1. did I set the wrong start/end sectors? how could I find the correct?
2. is the partition lost, because the last 5GB were overwritten?

TIA
Evgeni, who has backups, but recovery is so much more fun ;)