Re: Luks on encrypted livecd's / Catalyst

Well, not quite. I think it is variable.

In order to get it on my box:

# cryptsetup luksDump /dev/sdb1|grep 'Payload offset'
Payload offset: 1032

Which is the same as what we'd expect from the /dev sizes.
# blockdev --getsize /dev/sdb1
488392002
# blockdev --getsize /dev/mapper/chome
488390970

All this is measured in sectors. To get something in bytes, multiply
by the following number:
# blockdev --getss /dev/sdb1
512

-- Roscoe

On 7/6/07, Raphaël Gertz <rapsys@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Le Tuesday 03 July 2007 10:57:14 Nelson Batalha, vous avez écrit:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to know how much space Luks takes in the encryp. volume.
> That is, I would like to estimate, based on the device space and key
> size, an upper estimative.
>

> Why? Read on:
>
> I'm adding Gentoo Catalyst the ability to encrypt livecd's. The patches
> are functional and practically finished:
>
> http://mega.ist.utl.pt/~nhqb/gentoo/catalyst/catalyst_luks_02.patch
> http://mega.ist.utl.pt/~nhqb/gentoo/catalyst/genkernel_luks_cd2.patch
>
> but I'm using a very rough estimate: the cd's loop image (the thing I'm
> encrypting) usually takes at most 630 megas, now I'm adding 2930*512
> bytes, not enough for livedvd's for instance, and too much for minicd's.
>
> BTW the luks performance, even for livecd's, is really good, thanks!
>
> Cheers,
> Nelson

luks will not take more space than normal.

luks just use a header of 512k last time i checked.
(and 512k more at end if backup of luks header has been added there as
suggested a while ago).

Then it depend on the iso size and type.

If you use a compressed filesystem you will need to compress before encrypt,
because encrypted result should have a worse compression ratio.

Except that, you will need the modules, the userland tool.

I don't think the userland tool will take many space...