LUKS and hashs

Hello,

I am very new to this crypto-things, so excuse dump questions ;)

1)
When I setup an encrypted image/partition, the data is encrypted by a
random byte-string of "-s"-bits lenght. This one is saved encrypted for
every key-slot. How does luks verify, which slot is the correct one?

2)
When I do a luksDump on any testing-container I made so far, I noticed
one line:
> Hash spec:      sha1
What is this hash used for? And how can I change it, as sha1 is... not
as secure as eg. sha512.

3)
I read something about lrw. Its the only secure mode in-kernel. But
everywhere I read about "aes-lrw-benbi" with 256 bit (max for aes) +
128 bit (for lrw).
Is it only for aes or may it be used with blowfish or serpent as well?

Thanks so far!

Markus