Re: Re: Forgotten LUKS passphrase

On Fri, Apr 06, 2007 at 06:16:22PM +0100, Sarah Dean wrote:
> On Fri, 06 Apr 2007 16:28:49 +0200, Thomas B?chler wrote:
>
> >aLTer schrieb:
> >> If there is no ready programs for bruteforcing, I would like to write
> >> new one.
> >> I know C and a few other programming languages and a bit familiar with
> >> cryptography.
> >> Any other ideas, suggestions?
> >
> >LUKS is designed to prevent brutefroce attacks against the passphrases.
> >Basically, trying one passphrase should take about one second, so you
> >can expect it to take years to break, read the paper on the the luks
> >homepage about the design for more information.
>
> OTOH, if you can remember *some* information about your password;
> length, type of characters used
> (uppercase/lowercase/numbers/punctuation), or the characters
> themselves, you may be able to produce something that could generate a
> bruteforce attack based on this information.
>
> How long it would take to run, and whether it would be successful
> though, would depend on what you could remember... (i.e. It could
> recover your data in less than a minute - or could take longer than
> you'll live for ;)

Actualluy I believe that is what the secret service does at the moment:
Use the idele time of all the threasury-computers and text information
available on the target to do targetted guessing. Seem to work in
some cases, but takes long.

Arno
--
Arno Wagner, Dipl. Inform., CISSP --- CSG, ETH Zurich, wagner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
----

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears
and the dumbest tourists. -- Yosemite park ranger on bear-proof trashcans