Re: Re: Forgotten LUKS passphrase

On Fri, 06 Apr 2007 16:28:49 +0200, Thomas Bächler wrote:

>aLTer schrieb:
>> If there is no ready programs for bruteforcing, I would like to write
>> new one.
>> I know C and a few other programming languages and a bit familiar with
>> cryptography.
>> Any other ideas, suggestions?
>
>LUKS is designed to prevent brutefroce attacks against the passphrases.
>Basically, trying one passphrase should take about one second, so you
>can expect it to take years to break, read the paper on the the luks
>homepage about the design for more information.

OTOH, if you can remember *some* information about your password;
length, type of characters used
(uppercase/lowercase/numbers/punctuation), or the characters
themselves, you may be able to produce something that could generate a
bruteforce attack based on this information.

How long it would take to run, and whether it would be successful
though, would depend on what you could remember... (i.e. It could
recover your data in less than a minute - or could take longer than
you'll live for ;)

--
Sarah Dean
FreeOTFE site: http://www.FreeOTFE.org/

For information on SecureTrayUtil, Shredders, On-The-Fly Encryption
(OTFE) systems, etc, see the URLs above.