SPAM: HIGH * Re: device-mapper: reload ioctl failed: Invalid argument

Jax <cybercorecentre@...> writes:

> kernel: device-mapper: crypt: Device lookup failed
> kernel: device-mapper: error adding target to table
> kernel: device-mapper: device doesn't appear to be in the dev hash table.

I had this exact problem, and I don't know wtf the devices /dev/hd* aren't in
the 'dev hash table' but here's how I solved it.  Sorry if this seems a hack.

# losetup -f
/dev/loop1
# losetup /dev/loop1 /dev/hda1
# cryptsetup ... -y backup /dev/loop1
# mount /dev/mapper/backup /mnt/backup

The loopback device seems to be "in" the "dev hash table" so even though it's an
unneeded extra step, it seems to work fine.  In my case it was an encrypted
DVD/CD, but I got the same error messages.  Oddly, when I encrypt /dev/hda7 on
this computer, it doesn't complain at all.