device-mapper: reload ioctl failed: Invalid argument

Hi list!

I've got a strange problem with dmcrypt, and I hope it's only a fixable parameter problem or something because I've had serious problems before with encrypted storages. I lost many data, and don't want this to happen again.
Here is a part of the  script what I used to mount the drive all stratup:

cryptsetup -c blowfish -h sha256 -s 256 -d $KEY create backup /dev/hda1
mount /dev/mapper/backup /mnt/backup || ( echo "Mapper device don't exist or key wrong!!" && exit )

This worked perfectly, as you can see my goal was to use only a key and at automount startup.

I upgraded my system from Ubuntu 5.10 to Drapper and dmcrypt now not functional. I DON'T use precompiled kernels ever, so I didn't change my kernel, this can't be problem.

I got the: "device-mapper: reload ioctl failed: Invalid argument" message

and in the kernel.log:

kernel: device-mapper: crypt: Device lookup failed
kernel: device-mapper: error adding target to table
kernel: device-mapper: device doesn't appear to be in the dev hash table.

Guys I hope you can help me solve this. I don't want to install and older ubuntu again to get my data back and copy from the drive then recopy (I crypted the whole 120G drive.).

Regards,

Jax