LUKS Master Key Backup

Hi,

as far as I understand it LUKS stores the encrypted master key somewhere in the first sector of the partition. Since I'd really would like to have a backup of this sector (in case my harddisk tells me bad sector on this one,or I accidently overwrite this sector) I wonder how to do that correctly. I'm not familar with LUKS internals.

On this list I found the command :

dd if=/dev/<device> of=luksheader count=1032

Does this command do the trick ? Is the blockSize correct ? I have red the faq on http://www.saout.de/tikiwiki/tiki-index.php?page=LUKSFaq about master key backup and since that I'm a little bit confused.

Thanks for your help.

Another question about backup. Let's assume I have a bad sector somewhere on my encrypted partition. Since LUKS uses CBC (at least in my case) only this sector and the next (sector or block) are gone. The rest of the encrypted data is decryptable. Correct ?

Big thanks to all the developers who programmed this great tool. In my opinion it is a absolutely cruicial tool everyone should use. Keep up the good work!

Cheers,

Marcel