Re: Random checksums

Karsten Loebbicke wrote:

> maybe your algorithm (twofish) produce this failure? try to create an
> aes-encryptet partition...

The files that keep giving different checksums were originally created
on a twofish dm-crypted ext3 partition. No problems whatsoever there.
I also tested them on my twofish dm-crypted laptop homedir, no problems
either. Both these systems run the same OS and the same kernel as the
faulty system.

Despite the fact that /root works fine and lsat does not, there could
still be some really weird hardware-related thing behind this and I want
to rule that out 100%. Normally I'd just rip out the hard disk and put
it in another machine. Right now I don't have another machine where I am,
so I need to find a computer repair shop that will let me do the test.

If it misbehaves there too, the thing to look at would be the difference
between the systems. The systems that work have smaller partitions, one
is 30G and the other 70G. The misbehaving partition is 270G, so things
like block size and the number of blocks and inodes could theoretically
play a role in this. Sadly I know nothing about dm-crypt internals - or
ext3 internals for that matter - so I don't even know where to start
speculating.

Does anyone around here have experience with huge encrypted partitions?
Does the partition size affect dm-crypt's memory usage more than marginally?